Thursday, September 20, 2007

Fender Bender This

So an older Latino couple get into a fender-bender of an accident in South Central L.A. They are Hispanic, presumably on their way home from running errands, maybe enjoying a visit to their local senior citizen center, when they are hit from behind by another older lady. The couple exits their car, ready to do the accident thing. You know, check for damage, exchange information, question the driving abilities of the person who has just caused a major headache (figuratively speaking because this was a minor collision). This is when, however, from out of nowhere and much to the surprise of the woman who is calling for my assistance, a witness appears. This presumably neutral bystander has quite an opinion, to say the least. She assumes and so informs the causer of the accident that the couple is Mexican, illegal and, therefore, lying. "Do not give them your information. They come here to take jobs, commit crimes, and get on welfare." "Don't give them your information." The lady who speaks English fluently, by the way, and is a U.S. Citizen was rightfully outraged and deeply offended. I can tell in her voice that she could not believe the accusations made against her simply because she is Brown. She called me because she wanted me to do something. The only information she had about the woman was the number on her license plate, that she was Black, and that she worked at a hospital - a fact revealed to substantiate the woman's claims that all the Mexicans are criminals. "I know because I'm a nurse and I have to deal with them all the time." The lady on the phone tells me that she has already hired a private investigator who will try to find the so-called witness. I wonder how much that will cost her -- a small price I'm sure for the cost of being subjected to such indignities. I tell her that there isn't much I can do to help her. There is my typical response, not enough damages to cover the cost of a lawsuit. She is disappointed. I tell her that there might be other options. She can find out where this woman works and write a letter. Can you imagine how she treats her Latino patients? I can. I tell her to keep me informed. Let me know what the investigator finds out and that I will try to help her as much as I can. I hang up and wonder when we became Enemy No. 1?

No comments: